From: “Jennifer I. Maltas” <JMaltas@vbg.org>
Date: March 28, 2014 at 6:46:25 PM CDT
To: “firstname.lastname@example.org” <email@example.com>
Cc: “William G. Raysa (forwarder)” <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: FW: FOIA Request
Please find attached the Village’s response to your FOIA request. While we have tried working with you on narrowing your request, you responded by sending a list of 14 different “questions” posed as requests for information that actually expanded your original request. Therefore, the Village had no choice but to deny your categorical request as unduly burdensome.
With that being said, based on our conversation of March 24th I believe I provided you the background information you were looking for related to the project. The Village would like to be transparent regarding its interaction with CRM Properties Group, LTD, and the proposed Downtown Buffalo Grove Project. Therefore, the Village is providing some answers to the questions you posed in your email. Please note that the creation of documents in order to respond to a request for information is not a requirement under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act nor is the release of information regarding draft proposals and documents and the Village reserves the right to refrain from creating such documents in response to future requests.
Jennifer I. Maltas
Deputy Village Manager
Village of Buffalo Grove
From: David Weidenfeld [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:50 AM
To: Jennifer I. Maltas
Subject: Re: FOIA Request
To confirm, the Friday extension is fine. In terms of “narrowing” the original request that I made, in an effort to compromise on the request so that your task is a little easier, I’m looking for documents that pertain to the following areas of information. The requests below are to be considered as the Requested Items in my original letter of March 10, 2014 and all definitions within that letter apply here. As I told you, in the event that the Village refuses to respond to this set of requests this offer is withdrawn and I will renew my original requests as written in the March 10 letter. Finally, I want to confirm your statement that there are no agreements or drafts of agreements in place or pending between the Village and CRM. – As I stated on the phone, there are no agreements in place with the Village and CRM properties.
Requested Items (responses from J Maltas noted in red.)
1. Any drawings or renderings of versions of the proposed Downtown Buffalo Grove (DBG) subsequent to the plans originally submitted by CRM. As I stated on the phone, CRM Properties has not submitted design plans other than the concept presented at the Village Board meeting.
2. Any discussions or research requests relating to any form of public financing vehicles or districts, including but not limited to bonds or TIFs, for DBG.
3. Any discussions relating to the creation of binding letters of intent or similar documents with CRM.
4. Any requests made to any public agency, whether Federal, State or Local, having jurisdiction over any aspect of the development of DBG for the granting of any permits, licenses or any other form of approval necessary for the DBG project to proceed. – None have been made. As I stated on the phone, we do not know the next step until the current engineering study is complete.
5. Any information relating to the number of times that the Village, or anyone acting on its behalf, has met with CRM or anyone acting on CRM’s behalf.
6. Any information relating to any direction to Village staff or others to prepare ordinances to enable the development of DBG. – No such ordinances exist.
7. Any consents or permissions, or discussions regarding such consents or permissions, that have been granted to CRM in regard to representations that it is permitted to make to potential commercial occupants of DBG. Again, as stated on the phone, we do not yet know what the developable area of the golf course is and whether the project will move forward with any developer or CRM Properties.
8. Any information relating to efforts to determine the commercial value of the real estate that comprises the Buffalo Grove Golf Course. – The property has not been appraised. As I stated on the phone, we do not know the value of the land until we know if it can be developed or not.
9. Any information relating to the termination of any leases to any commercial entities doing business on the property that would be included in DBG. None exist.
10. Any information relating to the possibility of pursuing the development of DBG via an RFP or other process with developers other than CRM. Again as stated on the phone, this step is premature as we need to wait for the results of the engineering study.
11. Any information relating to the engagement of third parties to assist or participate in, or enable the development of, DBG.. As I stated on the phone, the only agreements the Village has is with Christopher Burke Engineering to provide engineering studies.
12. Any requests from the Village Board, Village President, Village Manager, Village Staff or anyone acting on their behalf to CRM requesting information on or relating to the development of DBG.
13. Any requests from CRM or anyone acting on its behalf to the Village Board, Village President, Village Manager, Village staff or anyone acting on their behalf requesting information on or relating to the development of DBG.
14. Any direction by the Village Board, Village President, Village Manager or anyone acting on their behalf to Village staff or agents to create documents or take action pertaining to or engage in discussions about, any of the items in this list.
From: Jennifer I. Maltas <JMaltas